Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Foodie Friday: "Chinese" Chicken

Well, I have a new recipe to share today!! Yay! Actually, it's a pretty easy recipe that I have used for years. It's simple and cooks up fairly quick. I was originally inspired by this recipe from Campbell's called, Sweet and Tangy Chicken.  Over the years however, I have kinda tinkered with the recipe and made a few changes.
  First of all, this time I used about two pounds of chicken breast tenderloins (use less chicken if you want it to be more saucy). They are smaller kid friendly pieces and they cook-up faster. I didn't get to defrost all the way so my pieces were still stuck together. Always, make sure you cook your food to the correct internal temperature to avoid any possibility of bacteria being left behind. If you don't own a food thermometer, it's a great investment. Click here to find out more about safe internal cooking temperatures.
  After the chicken was fully-cooked and browned, I added the ingredients (water, tomato soup, brown sugar, vinegar). However, instead of one tablespoon of brown sugar and vinegar, I had three of each. I know, I know. But it does taste yummy and not too over powering. Also, instead of white vinegar I use red wine vinegar. Just adds that little something. Feel free to tinker with if you like one or three tablespoons of each.  Everyone has different tastes. Once it's all mixed in, I lower the temperature and let it simmer to help reduce and thicken the sauce. 
  When it's done I usually serve with a boxed rice mix from the store that has an Asian flavor to it. You can add a frozen Oriental-inspired veggie mix to the rice too.  My family calls it Chinese Chicken because the sauce almost has the same sweet and tangy flavor as sweet and sour chicken.  If you wanted to make it even more like Sweet N' Sour chicken you could add some green bell pepper, onion and pineapple to the chicken towards the end while the sauce is simmering.


1 tablespoon butter
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast tenderloins
1 can (10 3/4 ounces)Condensed Tomato Soup
1/4 cup water
1-3 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1-3 tablespoon red wine vinegar

  • Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes or until well browned.
  • Stir the soup, water, brown sugar and vinegar in the skillet and heat to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low.  Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.  
ENJOY!


2 comments:

  1. looks delish!!!! thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Istoleal, I have been out of town, so I couldn't comment earlier - but this looks SO delicious. Thanks so much for linking it up to Fab Friday!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete