I thought I would share something I am a passionate about. That is local businesses. Not that I don't give my business to big chain retailers and restaurants, but I also enjoy finding that great local place that makes a town unique. So occasionally I will share some of favorites that I think are great in my humble opinion.
Anyway, today I just wanted to share a cute little fro-yo place my family and I found. I am a big fan of a business (especially a small business) who can get a concept that has been done by other big chain and in my opinion make it better. Froyoski's seems to a family-owned business selling one of the hottest food trends out there....self-serve yogurt.
So here are my TOP TEN reasons why I love Froyoski's:
10. FLAVORS Galore- They usually have a chocolate and vanilla flavor, but they always have some yummy flavor that you would never think of as a fro-yo flavor. They also seem to change them up often so you can try something new. Recently this was their flavor choices: Chocolate Banana Split / Strawberry Shortcake, Watermelon / Hawaiian Pineapple, French Vanilla / Pumpkin Pie, Custard / Coconut, Dragon's Blood / Green Apple
9. The FreeSki- They usually have a neat challenge on their chalkboard. They put up a random weight and if you can get your yogurt to weigh exactly that, it's FREE.
8. Cones- They offer ice cream cones for those who aren't fans of the bowls. It's also great for those of us with kids. I like that I can give my kids a small amount of yogurt I know they can eat, instead of letting them fill a bowl that will mostly go to waste.
7. Supporter of Students/Arts- They have several art pieces on their wall created by local students.
6. Friendly Staff - The staff always welcomes you in and offers you some sample cups.
5. More than just Yogurt- They recently added hot coffee, tea and hot Chocolate to their menu. They have all kinds of syrups you can add in too. This makes it a great place to relax especially if the kids want fro-yo and the parents would rather enjoy a hot beverage.
4. Relaxed Seating- Another thing that sets these guys apart. They have a comfy sofa and chairs along with their tables and chairs (including outside seats). They also have soft and warm lighting. There is games to play and a book exchange. They also usually have a doggie bowl with water outside for your four-legged friends. The feel is more relaxed than the chain fro-yo places I have been to.
3. Open Mic Night- On Friday night they have a Open Mic night. I personally haven't been to one, but it a great idea for people to go and have a place to share their talents.
2. Double-Dare-ski- Every week they offer a new double dare topping. You go in and add their double topping to your yogurt. You get a card to keep track of them on. Once you complete 20 double dares you get a discount and a giveaway. So far I have tried Wheat Thins, Town House Crackers, BBQ Kettle Potato chips and Pickles.
|My frozen yogurt creation with a that week's Double Dareski: Dill Pickle|
|Frozen Yogurt with Wheat Thins!|
1. Frioski- I named a drink there! Okay, I may have selfishly added this one in, but it's true! They recently had a contest to name their new line of frozen yogurt blended drinks. I went in and gave and few never thinking my would get choosen. So, if you go in and have a Frioski....I named it!
NOTE: Froyoski's has not paid me to share my opinions of them, nor do they know I did until after I post this. This is just my opinions of a local business so it can be different from yours. Their offers and promotions may change. So, double check with them.
UPDATE: 4/25/2013 Sadly, Froyoski's closed it's doors at the end of 2012. They struggled to stay open, but costs were just too high. It's such a shame. It was a great locally-owned business! Please folks, don't be afraid to try local businesses. You may be pleasantly surprised. Please visit my other blog to find out about more local places in the Houston area.