Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Making Memories

When I got married the priest that married us said that no matter how much you planned, something will go wrong or not quite as planned.  He said that as long as we,the couple, and he was there to marry us, then nothing else mattered.  Not the flowers, the music nor missing relatives.  He also said that things not going as planned sometimes made the best memories (more on that in a bit).
As I mentioned before, this last weekend my niece got married in the Texas Hill Country.  The backdrop was very picturesque.  However, when I saw my brother and sister-in-law(who was crying) come down the aisle, I started to cry sob.  I think I was just thinking that one day I would be the mother-of-the-bride and would have to see my daughter get married.  Either way, the waterworks began and the more I tried to stifle my sobs, the more they got louder.  After the ceremony my family poked fun at my sobbing.  It was quite funny in retrospect.
Anyway, I thought I would share some of my favorite pictures that I took that afternoon.
Now, going back to making memories part.  My niece's flower girl was so cute in her little dress. However, about 15 minutes into the ceremony she decided that she was tired.  She sat down and then ended up laying down in the grass.  It was a nice day...don't blame her at all!
So cute.
My nephew (the bride's cousin) then did a not-so-traditional reading.  He explained how at almost every wedding someone reads the same passage.  (Come on, we all know it..."Love is patient. Love is kind", etc.)  He then said that he would not be reading that passage and went on to read a different one.  His change-up was good and I think it made people pay attention just a bit more. 
The sun was setting behind him and made a great silhouette.
My niece and her now husband got married under this pretty gazebo.  The pink-ish salmon color really popped against the hill country behind them.
Pretty color, huh?
My husband and I decided to buy the newlyweds the most absurdly huge and heavy gift.  My family suggested that we not take the gift to the wedding and just drop it off at her apartment.  However, we thought it would be soooo much funnier if we just took it to the reception.  What wasn't funny was trying to wrap that sucker in the parking lot of the hotel, at 3PM, in triple digit weather.  Sadly, I was told that the paper tore on the way to her apartment.  Oh, well.
Took three rolls of 15 sq. foot paper!
Here's to a life full of blessings for the new couple!

On a side note...I forgot to take the sign I made my niece.  I will just give it to her next time I see her.

 UPDATE 7/12/11:  The happy couple came home from their honeymoon and opened their gifts.  Turns out someone did get to enjoy the torture I endured wrapping.
Look, there is my wrapping paper!



1 comment: